Wednesday, August 8, 2012


Sunset After Work...
What started out as a good day leveled off to me being put on “Time Out”  It seemed like a memo was distributed to get on my nerves this afternoon! I’m a little sleep-deprived so I’ll confess that I was a bit snippy, but instead of totally losing it, I turned to my corner and didn't come out until it was time to go home. Spending some much needed time by the water and watching the sunset helped settle my nerves…

Let’s go…

What in the world??
Apparently, getting arrested for marijuana possession in Vermont doesn’t sit well with the locals. One Roger Pion didn’t appreciate getting arrested for his transgressions and decided to do something about it. After reading this article I wonder if Mr. Pion’s buzz clouded his judgment when he decided to take a tractor and run over 7 patrol cars and 1 personal vehicle. And that’s not the funny part - they were unable to go after him! But again, he was traveling in a tractor so with a top speed of what, 25 MPH? They caught up to him and yep, arrested him again! I can’t make this stuff up…I probably should have put this under Entertainment...too funny!

Bookshelf
I read an article the other day that encouraged the inner-reader in me. It listed 50 titles by African-American authors that are must-reads. I thought I’d share them with you and hopefully you can share them with others. First on the list is “Anni Allen” by Poet Gwendolyn Brooks. The collection captures the experiences of a young black girl as she grows into woman. Brooks was the first Black author to win the Pulitzer Prize – check it out!

A great lead-in to my next topic; SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY!! I consider myself an avid reader and try to visit my library at least three times a month when my schedule permits it. Even if I don’t check out any books, I go just to hang out with the books for a few hours. With the popularity of eBooks, one may think libraries are no longer needed. I rebuke such an idea! Our libraries are the cornerstones of our communities. I challenge you all to take a stroll through the aisles of Fiction or Biographies. You’ll be surprised to see there’s a large DVD section that you can barrow – for FREE! Be sure to wear something bright for your library card picture!

Olympics
An upset in the games today – Lolo didn’t get her medal, but Dawn Harper pulled it out for the Silver. The true element of the games was displayed today in the form of China’s hurdler, Liu Xiang. He hit the first hurdle and went down. Unable to finish the race or exit the track stage right, he grimaced his way on one foot to the finish line where he was met by his fellow Hungary runner, Balazs Baji, who raised Liu’s hand in victory. The other runner made their way over as well and offered their support. True sportsmanship! USA is still behind China in the medal count, Let’s go! Here’s the Medals count top 5: China-73 (34 Gold): US-70 (30 Gold); Great Britain-48 (22 Gold); Russia-48 (10 Gold); Japan-29. Go TeamUSA!

Wrap up…
Psychologists say it takes at least five “Way to go’s!”  in order to overcome one “You stink.” Encourage somebody today, the benefits are priceless for the recipient AND you. Make a difference!

‘Til next time!

 Quote of the day
“A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her.” ~ David Brinkley

No comments:

Post a Comment