Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday, Monday…I never really knew the words to that song. Anyway, what’s happening people!? Hope you all enjoyed the weekend. The weather on the East Coast started out a little dodgy, but shaped up rather nicely. It was so nice yesterday I passed on my routine nap. (I’m paying for it now though!)

Let’s get to it…!!
Farewell London!
Did you watch the closing ceremonies!? I thought it was a great show…probably because I knew most of the songs (don’t judge me!) The final events were monumental. The Women’s Basketball pulled it off, winning their 5th consecutive Gold Medal. The Men’s team gave me a little scare, but held on and came away with the Gold in Kobe’s final Olympic appearance.
Here’s the final tally of Medals Count, in order of Gold Medals won: USA- 46 Gold; China- 37 Gold; Great Britain-29 Gold; Russia-24 Gold; Korea-12 Gold. Great job by ALL the athletes – see you (some of you) in 4 years!

Now Back To Your Normal Programming…
With the Olympics ending last night, Prime-Time television will resume. I know, not much there by way of substance. Unless you’re a fan of Reality TV (which I am NOT), there isn’t much to choose from. The reality of Reality TV is about as real as the hair cascading down some of those women’s backs. Yes, everybody has a story, and yes some need their stories told more than others. But do we really need to see the cat-fights, name calling, and fake brawls that take place on just about every episode? The gamut has run full course from ex-wives of male celebrities from different genres of entertainment that are conveniently best buddies for the sake of a film crew; to a manly looking woman who sounds like Harvey Fierstein (seriously!) with enough drama going on to land her very own contract and own show – which is how most of these shows are created.
There is nothing “Real” about these shows. Most are embarrassing...Ahh, why do I even bother! This is August so there is promise of a “new season” of television. Just like every year, I’m sure there will be a new hospital-based choice where the doctors are all showing more cleavage than necessary (male and female!) And of course what’s a Fall Prime-Time lineup without a seedy courtroom drama with the prosecutors are sleeping with each other and the judge is on somebody’s payroll. (sigh…) Give me PBS any day!

Pop Some Popcorn!
How did you fare with “Shaft in Africa”? I know, I know…it’s entertaining if nothing else you have to admit! Coming in at number 49 on the Top 50 of the best Blaxploitation Movies of all time is “Disco Godfather.” I have to be honest and admit I had never heard of this movie. It stars the infamous Rudy Ray Moore (yes, that one!) and Carol Speed. Released in 1979, Moore plays a retired cop-turned celebrity DJ and vows revenge on the dope dealers responsible for his nephew’s demise after obtaining the new drug on the street “PCP” aka “Angel Dust.” I’m going to have to rely on you all for this one until I can find a copy. If anybody comes across a source before I do, share the knowledge so that we can all cringe together!



Wrap up…
While watching TV over the weekend, previews of the new NFL season flashed across the screen with the season opener airing Wednesday, September 5th! (can you see me smiling?)

‘Til next time!

 Quote of the day
“Most football players are temperamental.  That's 90 percent temper and 10 percent mental.”  ~Doug Plank 

No comments:

Post a Comment