Friday, August 10, 2012

Happy Friday!! It’s something about Friday that makes me want to dance a little jig (seriously!) I get up with an extra pep in my step knowing this is the last day of another work-week. The day before my favorite day – Saturday, and if I’m lucky I’ll be able to coast through the day without a hitch. Hope you can do the same! We’ve got a new member…welcome aboard “Sherri" !!!

Here we go…!!

From the Headlines…(yes, these are actual headlines people!)
“Is Diddy Headed To The ‘American Idol’ Panel?” – Who cares!!! The show has obviously run its course! They’ve managed to finagle a contract with Mariah Carey to judge and are now trying to find two more in order to keep with the original format. More success has been accomplished by those that DID NOT win which proves to me…who are we to judge? (Pun intended!)

“Usher’s Karaoke Night Caught On Tape” - And this is headline news because…..I mean, seriously. There aren’t any rules (per say) to karaoke, you just need the guts to get up there and belt out the song – right? Usher’s song of choice? The Jackson 5’s “I’ll Be There” – of course!

“What if Fonts Could Talk?”What???? I’m not even going to bother. I’ll let you work with that one…
 
Make Some Popcorn!

"Shaft In Africa"
In the same fashion as the Top 50 Books by African Americans, I found a list of the same number of the best Blaxploitation Movies of all time! While some of these are true classics, most are just really bad acting!  But, nonetheless, they’re entertaining and in their heyday, were Box Office hits! Not to mention, produced some the hottest music in Soul history! Starting from #50, is “Shaft In Africa” starring Richard Roundtree and Vonetta McGee. Released in 1973, this is the third installment of the hit “Shaft” trilogy (also on this list). The promo for the film announced “The Brother Man in the Motherland”…cheesy I know, but very hip for ’73! (Hip! I'm bringing that back!)
Now before you get all twisted about the portrayal of our brothers and sister in these movies I’ll be sharing, take a moment and remember they were not forced to act in these films. These actors and actresses read the scripts and cashed the checks. Just watched them with a big bowl of popcorn and be grateful to the fact that we’ve come a long way Baby!

Olympics
Another historical moment! Claressa Shields became the first Woman to win Gold in the debut of Women’s Boxing! The 17 year old middle-weight defeated her 33 year old Russian opponent with a 19-12 decision. Despite the backlash it has received, I believe women’s boxing has earned the respect of many nations. Great job ladies!
USA continues to hold on to the lead over China, passing them in the Gold count. Let’s go! Here’s the Medals count top 5: USA-90 (39 Gold); China-80 (37 Gold); Great Britain-54 (25 Gold); Russia-56 (12 Gold); Germany-37 (10 Gold). Go TeamUSA!

Wrap up…
We’ve made it through another week, and another Olympics! Sunday is the last day of the games, as well as the day of the Closing Ceremony. I missed the last Olympic closing, so I’m looking forward to this one. The theme is “A Symphony of British Music” and insiders say the best of London’s musical talents will grace the stage. Rumored (and photographed) is a reunion of the Spice Girls! (are we ready for that??) George Michael, the Pet Shop Boys, Annie Lennox, and Jessie J. The big speculation is Adele – will she or will she not perform? (is this really a surprise!?) In any case, the big finale is Sunday at 4 P.M. ET - Enjoy!

‘Til next time!

 Quote of the day
“If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.”  ~Henry J. Kaiser

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts, Thanks for summarizing the news! Oh, thanks for the "shout-out"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahand clap for Friday!! Yes we made it.

    OK, I won't bother commenting on American Idol, all I will say, is that's not the only show that had its day. Would you believe there is a reality show a about a Meth dealer? Really?????!!!

    Usher who cares. Hee was having fun I hope.

    Fonts that talk? Was that really written somewhere?

    Yes, we have come along way, still some movies I just can't do. Lol!

    Have an awesome weekend all. Can't leave without saying welcome Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A.T. there is nothing worse than a reality show that has lost its so-called reality. Thanks for checkin' in!

    ReplyDelete