Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One For Bugs! (as in Bunny!)

Yesterday marked the 70th “birthday” of my all time favorite cartoon characters. The pioneer of animation, the original animated one-liner, the slickster himself, Bugs Bunny! There were a few acknowledgements within the news and print, giving brief histories of his start and such. Throughout the day, I had planned to go home and watch a marathon only to discover that the so-called Cartoon Network did nothing of the sort. (!!) I pulled up the guide on the television screen and expanded it for the week. The only thing scheduled to air is “Looney Tunes Back in Action” (??) This being a feature film starring “B” list Hollywood actors with maybe 20% animation. A poor attempt to capitalize on the then popular “Space Jam” (another live/animation combo)

Now, I figured because it was during the week, they saved the marathon, tribute, SOMETHING for the weekend. Nothing. I was blown away! Cartoon Network wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for Bugs and his pals. I even skipped to the Cartoon Network’s second station (CN West) and still nothing! I wrote a note to this so-called “cartoon” network and expressed my feelings on the matter. I haven’t received a response yet and doubt that I will. I didn’t bash them too terribly, but simply pointed out that they’ve strayed from their origin. I may have thrown in that they ought to be ashamed of themselves for neglecting the one character they all were probably inspired by. The crap they show now is embarrassing. With the exception of "Tom & Jerry", and an occasional run of "Scooby", everything else the air is, I repeat, crap! They even show movies now (helloooo??)

A few years ago, when they edged out the REAL cartoons for the new stuff, I was at a loss. I began purchasing my favorites on DVD; "The Flintstones", of course "Looney Tunes", "Pink Panther", etc. for my own enjoyment. Then another cartoon network surfaced called “Boomerang” that I was really excited about. This is a spin off for veterans like myself that shows all the cartoons we grew up with and that Cartoon Network no longer airs. Classics like “The Jetsons”, “The Flintstones”, “Josie and The Pussycats” are shown here. All the Hannah Barbara lineup you could think of is featured on this channel. Now, I love the HB stuff, but after a while, it wears you down. Still, no Warner Bros. greats - No Bugs Bunny, Daffy, Foghorn. They began throwing in a few Nickelodeon “classics” like “Dexter’s Laboratory”, “Johnny Bravo”, and “The Power Puff Girls”, which leads me to believe these too were ousted from their home networks and replaced with updated, yep you guessed it, crap. (Sigh…)

Anyway…The Cartoon Network dropped the ball BIG TIME (ALL of them!) No marathon, not even a half hour special on Bugs creation, nothing.

I will hold my own celebration this Saturday and will watch all my Looney Tunes DVD’s! I’ll sit in the middle of my bed, in my PJ’s; with a bowl of Cap’N Crunch cereal and enjoy all my favorites…the way cartoons were meant to be watched!

No comments:

Post a Comment