Tuesday, July 13, 2010

All In The Family!

This past weekend we hosted our first Family Reunion. I say first because it wasn’t part of the previous chains or other extensions. My two cousins and I put together a weekend that I’m sure either of us will forget.

It started with “D” sending me an email 5 or 6 months ago simply stated: “Cuz, call me” Within minutes, I called him. When he realized it was me, he was blown away because I actually called him. He asked how did I feel about getting a reunion together? He went to say how the older members of the family always did it and now that WE’RE the older ones (so to speak) we should really try to put something together. As I listened to him I realized he was serious and wanted my help. We set a date to get together to talk it out in more details. I drove up to his house and we talked for over three hours about everything! Now, the key to this is that “D” and I had never spent any “real” time with each other. It was always a quick word in passing, at a funeral or messages on Facebook. But that night, we bonded our family ties and got to work. He called and reached out to a few other cousins who all responded with “Yea, that’s a great idea” but only one stepped up said “Yea, that’s a great idea…let me know what you want me to do” and “L” jumped in with both feet.

Because we all know how folks can be (well, most of us know) pulling this thing together was not easy. The minute the registration letter went out, the negativity began. We sat together and exchanged our disbelief at what was being said. Well, “L” and I knew it would come but “D” was really taken aback (poor fella!) From “I didn’t get a letter” even though the registration letter CLEARLY asked that copies be made and distributed accordingly because we didn’t have everyone’s address (a family as big as ours, who would??) to complaints of the location flew around like migrating birds. The biggest complaint of course was the price. Which we felt was faire considering it included your meals for all three days and a T-shirt. Sadly enough, most of the drama came from a certain ‘pocket’ of the family. A few times we were derailed because the battery had become a bit much and we had to REALLY encourage one another. I know I contemplated stepping down and not showing up at all. I didn’t catch any direct flack, but when I learned my two partners were catching it, I took it personal as if it were directly coming to me. I became defensive and confrontational. A couple of times I had to be talked down by “L” because I was ready to make THAT phone call to certain family members to check them. Of course we had those that totally disregarded and in my opinion disrespected the spirit and formation of the reunion by just showing up and not paying and forced us to come out of our own pockets to cover certain expenses. A few were the very same ones that caused all the drama.

Nevertheless, we pressed on and because we did, last weekend was a success! Nothing but positive accolades were given throughout the weekend by the family. There were few hiccups here and there, but they were so minor I doubt anybody noticed ;-) The three of us, with the help of "L's" husband and "D's" wife, "L's" good friend and my best friend, we pulled it off!

Friday night kicked off with an informal hang out of adult fun at a local bar. We were a little apprehensive because we didn’t book the bar for our use exclusively. We just told everyone to show up there and be prepared to pay a cover ($5) the bar sometimes charged and we knew there would be some that would complain about having to pay at the door. To our surprise, we were the only ones there that night and there was no charge for those that came later (1 down…)

Saturday was the Family Day, with the weatherman threatening rain. I believe we all prayed because there was a 3 minute shower around 8:45 and another one around 11 and that was it! Everyone (all who could) played field games, talked, ate and ate some more. We did a special balloon release for all family members that had passed away and the classic photo of the eldest and youngest family member together (2 down, 1 to go...)
The finale was a Family Fellowship Dinner with presentations of Praise Dancing, Poetry, and awards for the games played the day before. Our final comments were expressed more so to each other. A touching moment because only we know what we went through for the sake of the family; a job well done! (We did it!!)

Comments of next year’s reunion popped up. I ignored them. At the end of, a cousin approached me about ideas for the next reunion possibly being held at a location that meets in the ‘middle’ like Myrtle Beach. I told him it was a good idea and told myself I wanted NOTHING to do with the planning!

My Blackberry will be happy to know that I will NOT be taking any calls, emails, or texts from the family for at least 2 weeks. I will respond to FB inquiries on a very LIMITED basis. :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment