Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Power of the Pen – Not so? S. R. Paulk ©

I want to start by saying that I love my country. Yes, it has its flaws here and there similar the average dysfunctional family, but just as there is still love in that family, there is love for the US. To zero in on one aspect, the beautiful law of Freedom of Speech. We can to do what others can’t in some countries and that is expressing our opinions publically.

We are in the midst of the age of Social Networking, Blogs (thank you for reading mine!), and Scroll Lines. We can write what I feel, share our opinions (whether or not it’s wanted) and not be penalized for it (generally speaking, of course). Of course, there are limitations to what can be published, posted, updated, without backlash or some variation of a slander law being broken, but you get what I’m saying (hopefully) We are protected under our constitution, and like it or not, we can say what we want, to whomever about whatever. A freedom most take for granted, me included, until I come across an article like the one I just read.
In Thailand, an American was just sentenced to two and half-years in prison for insulting the monarchy. Of course there is controversy because he is Thai-born, but considered an American, so I’m sure there will be appeals filed, etc.
Imagine living in a country where by communicating your opinion about the government, royal family, or whoever is in charge, and being jailed. I’m not talking about sitting in the county jail to cool off, but actually serve time, serious time, because you articulated your distaste of a certain bill that was passed. Consider being handcuffed, strip searched, and given an unflattering orange jumpsuit to wear because you sent a tweet disagreeing with President Obama’s plans on fixing the economy.
Because I can go on with possible scenarios (I’ll spare you…this time!) I’ll get to the point. Yes, I agree, there are many things wrong with our government, not excluding people. There are laws that need to be revised and policies that simply need to be abolished. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, our country, with all its baggage, is still, in my opinion, a great place to be….until the next election anyway J

No comments:

Post a Comment