Thursday, January 13, 2011

Things I’ve Learned (A possible series) ©

Walking around carrying ‘stuff’ isn’t good for your health. I recently felt myself creeping into that place where I have trouble sleeping, staying focused, and even have trouble breathing.

I sat down in a quiet place and wrote down everything I could think of that brought on this anxiety. I tried to leave them on the paper as I thought about them because some of them were still fresh. I could still taste them. After completing the list (yes, it was a list of them) I walked away to make some coffee. I returned with my favorite mug in hand and read through the collection that had become the culprit of my restlessness. I discovered 99 % of it didn’t belong to me!

I read each item aloud and as the words slipped from my lips, the realization became clearer with each syllable. It wasn’t mine! Issues with missed doctor’s appointment, problems with old flames, mortgage companies, sibling interference, and uncooperative neighbors, none of these belonged to me. Not only did they not belong to me, but really had very little to do with me.

I had served in the capacity of a sounding board for most and had subconsciously taken on each as my own. I had been carrying them around, juggling them and even lost sleep trying to figure them out while the rightful owners went on their merry way. Well, maybe not merry but close to it. Meanwhile, I’m irritable and snippy.

Well, I’m giving it all back - ALL of it! I’ll help when I can. I’ll listen when it’s needed, but I’m not taking it with me. I’m all for helping and guiding, but I have to learn (re-learn) how to help and not to load myself up with the problems of others.

So don’t be surprised if you open your door and find a small package.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing how easy it is to allow the issues of others to seep into our lives and become a part of what we carry along. It's important to clean house my "Mother" says. Get rid or the emotional, physical, and mental trash we carry along.

    When you think about it like that. Every night the trash should be taken out. So perhaps the start is to end each day by unloading the trash of the day. The stuff that doesn't belong to you and you aren't going to use.

    There's an idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. By George I think she's got it! I TOTALLY agree! So much so, I think I'm going to convert my old trash can into one for "Other's Waste"
    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! "Other's Waste". I think I like that in a Transparent Trash can so each person could see their trash. :-)

    ReplyDelete