Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions Anyone?

It's day 2 of the New Year and what have you accomplished so far? Have you kept your Resolutions? How many pounds have you lost? Is your life organized? Have you found TRUE love?

If your answer is No, don't worry. You still have time to accomplish. I read recently the average person has broken their set resolutions within 3 months. So technically, you have until March. That's when the 'Real Resolutions' kick in.

I thought I'd start the year off not with Resolutions, but 'Realistic Thinking' This fits my way of living better than some list I've spent weeks or days agonizing over. I've decided to Set Goals rather than cross out an item on a list I'd probably lose after while; only to find it years later and wonder what was I thinking (!)

Call me old fashion, but I haven't shared them with anyone (and I don't plan to do so now!) but I will say that This, what I'm doing now, is among the Goals I've set for the New Year (That’s it, no more sharing!)

The idea of my 'Realistic Thinking' is to one, not drive myself crazy trying to keep up with everybody else's idea of "Starting Fresh" Second, is to stay consistent to my mental process, as in not conforming, and third is to keep it REAL with me. There are enough advertisement telling what gym to join, what diet to try, what bank to open an account and invest with, and so on…

The first of the year launches a plethora of campaigns all geared at pulling you on some kind of bandwagon disguised as a ‘Fresh Start’ or ‘New Beginning’ Well, I’m not falling for it and I hope you don’t either. I invite you to be True to You. Set Goals, real ones, and work hard at reaching them. Journal them, don’t just them. Give them a meaning and life. Make them a part of your daily routine and once you’ve reached one (or however many you’ve set) set more. And don’t be a punk about it, make them challenging!

I've been thinking about a clever way to tell those annoying individuals that come up to me with a power shake in their grips asking what my Resolutions are. As dieting is clearly one of theirs (and everybody else's) I've decided to comment with a mere smile and a polite quip: "Being Real"

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. "Realistic Thinking"....I Love It! Set Goals obtain them and create new ones. Challenge myself for better. Every day focusing on being a better me than the day before.

    That's it

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it indeed! Key word being "Challenge" We get too comfortable with life, people, things...We need to Revamp and Re-invigorate our lives. I feel this should be done not only the first of the year, but quarterly.

    In the business world, finances, reporting, analysis, etc. are done so on a quarterly basis. Why shouldn't we practice the same principle on our lives? We are (or should be) an asset to ourselves and to everyone we encounter, so why shouldn't our "Business" (i.e. our selves) be in order!

    POW!

    ReplyDelete